If there is one area of the home that no one wants to organize, it is the garage. The mere thought of this can be enough to make you feel exhausted. However, the sooner you get this task over and done with, the better. You will find it much easier to locate all of your items whenever you head into your garage, and you will feel a much greater sense of pride in your home as well. With that being said, below we are going to take a look at some easy steps to follow in order to organize your garage effectively.
- The first step that you need to take is to get all of the supplies that you are going to need. After all, there is nothing worse than starting a project in your home only to find that you do not have everything that you require. So, make sure you get yourself a catch-all basket for odds and ends, as well as a strong vacuum cleaner and some heavy-duty trash bags.
- Once you have gotten all of the supplies that you are going to need, the next thing you need to do is a basic clean of the garage. Use the vacuum to give the floor a once over. You should also look out for any evidence of winged or furry creatures that could have taken up residence in your garage, as well as cobwebs, chemical or oil stains, and any small items, such as nails, on the floor.
- While you are cleaning, you can start the process of decluttering by getting rid of anything you know that you are not going to need. This way, you will make the decision process a lot easier. You can then start sorting through all of your items one-by-one. You can either keep, toss, donate, or throw away your items. One thing that can certainly help while you are doing this is to put everything out into an open space, for example, your driveway. This will help you to have a much clearer view of everything that you own so that you can handle the sorting out process in the most efficient manner. People tend to be surprised by just how many items they have. You need to be brutal when sorting out all of your things. Ask yourself when the last time you used something was if you are struggling to determine whether you should keep it or not.
- Next, we recommend sorting out your garage into different zones. This is beneficial because we tend to store a number of different types of items in our garages. You can, therefore, sort out items into categories such as tools, sports equipment, car supplies, and so on. You will know what makes the most logical sense for the items that you have in your garage.
- You also need to carefully consider how you are going to store items in your garage. What sort of storage system are you going to use? A lot of people are guilty of failing to make the most of the space that is available to them. You need to make sure you use the vertical space that is on offer. There are lots of great storage items that have been designed with garages in mind, so make sure you check out the market. Planning is key, though. Don’t make the error of simply purchasing something and then seeing if it fits afterward.
- The final tip when it comes to garage organization is to make sure that you keep on top of everything. This is where a lot of people go wrong. They will organize their garage and then simply forget about it, which means it ends up becoming a big mess again. To make certain that this does not happen to you, you need to address garage maintenance on a periodic basis.
So there you have it: everything you need to know about how to organize your garage effectively. If you follow the steps that have been presented above, you can make sure that your garage looks great and that everything is stored in a logical manner. One of the best ways to go about this is to get in touch with a professional cleaning company. A business like SwiftClean can make sure that your garage is left sparkling so that it is not only better to look at but it is healthier as well.